My name’s Jym and I’m a Gin Collector, it’s a serious addiction you know! You can lose friends (so much gin knowledge, you have to share it, again!), drive your partner nuts (there are literally no spare shelves in our house) and drive yourself crazy (do I really need the new design?)!
I found a way to feed my addiction, together with my wife, Marie, I founded GinFestival.com and it’s a never ending excuse (reason, I mean reason) to buy and try new gins. I know there’s plenty of gin collectors out there, I’ve spoken to lots of you over the years and we all have the same problems so this is our list, maybe people will start to understand when they read it...
1. The sheer amount of amazing, unique, unusual craft gins out there, who can try them all in one lifetime?
2. The expense - enough said!
3. Space, our kitchen rivals any gin bar.
4. Knowledge, when you overhear other people talking and you’re dying to butt in!
5. Finding new gins abroad and having no space in your suitcase to bring them back, seriously considering leaving your own and your wife’s clothes on holiday to create space, realising she’d kill you.
6. Actually organising holidays around going to a distillery because they don’t have an online shop and you’re desperate to try the gin (just don’t tell your partner that’s why you’re going to Scotland, not Crete).
7. When your friends/family buy you a bottle of bog standard London Dry because they know you love gin, you appreciate the thought of course, but…
8. Brand refreshes, you can’t miss out on the shiny new bottle.
9. Going into a specialist shop and finding an original batch with a lower handwritten number than the one you have, you’ve got to buy it, right, right??
10. Finding a gin collector with more bottles than you. I can only dream of having so many that I get into the Guinness World Records for having the most gin, like Gin Emporium at The Old Bell Inn, Delph, near the Peak District!
11. That said, problem 11 is going to a gin tasting and finding I’ve tried them all. (This inspired GinFestival.com so it’s not all that bad right?).
Now I’ve got that off my chest, I think it’s time for a large G&T, cheers!
Use the right ice, ice, baby and make the best tasting G&Ts and cocktails ever!
Get that holiday feeling with the Spanish Santamanía London Dry Gin, full of fabulous, fruity continental flavour!
Uncle Val's Botanical Gin is a little bit special, which is why we chose it as our May Gin of the Month! Summery and perfect for a summery G&T or delicious cocktail.
We know you love cocktails as much as we do, so here’s 7 fabulous recipes for world cocktail week.